Friday, June 27, 2014

Surreal Broccoli Salad

The first thing that came to mind when I ate this dish: This is not broccoli.
And what I imagined... here, I'm sharing it with you:

…My altered version of Magritte's The Treachery of Images. I remember learning about this piece in my high school art class while learning about surrealism. The painting really was meant to initiate questioning of what seems real and what is real...but that's only what my 14 year old self understood so maybe there's more to it..
The Treachery of Images
I've actually been too busy interning/dancing/exploring to cook- but in luck that my mom made this for dinner!



ANYWAYS, it looks like broccoli, but tastes TOTALLY NOT LIKE BROCCOLI! It's a reminder that different combinations bring out different flavors that are worth trying. Combining the broccoli with pineapple and mushrooms transforms it! And tossing it all into a salad is perfect.




Makes a few portions 
Ingredients: 2 cups romaine lettuce, 2 heads chopped broccoli, 16 oz diced pineapple, 22 oz baby bella mushrooms, paprika, salt, tbsp olive oil, rosemary

1. Preheat oven to 390F

2. Add mushrooms and diced pineapple along with the juice of the pineapple to a large cooking tin

3. Add the salt, paprika, olive oil, and rosemary to the tin and mix

4. Put in the oven

5. After 15 minutes add in the broccoli

6. After another 15 minutes, (total of 30 so far) take the tray out of the oven and let cool

7. Add to a salad of romaine lettuce with some balsamic vinegar, or just eat it by itself!


No comments:

Post a Comment