The spirit of the muffin man is unmistakeable in our house these days… a large batch of healthy breakfast muffins for my dad are baked in our kitchen on a weekly basis, and here I am trying to make my own version. I guess this could count as a summer-version of a chemistry lab. It's tough to figure out how to get a muffin-like consistency without common ingredients, and these didn't come out the way I expected them to. Still, they're unique. They have a gooey center and a chewy outside, plus they're blue on the inside. I named them: Gooey Center Blueberry Banana Muffins.
Makes 10 small-medium muffins:
Ingredients: 2 ripe bananas, 1 cup oats, tbsp cinnamon, 2 eggs, 1 cup blueberries, 1 tbsp olive oil, tbsp flax seeds, 1/6 tsp baking soda, [tbsp sugar if you must….]
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Add 1/2 cup boiling water to 1 cup oats and stir in a large mixing bowl
3. Mash bananas and beat eggs in separate bowls
4. Add the mashed banana and beat eggs to the mixing bowl and stir it all
5. Add in tbsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/6 tsp baking soda [and a little sugar if you can't live without it] and mix!
6. Pour into muffin tins and sprinkle cinnamon on top
7. Bake in oven for about an hour- check after 30 minutes and periodically keep checking until the top is crisp, and the inside is gooey but cooked.